uploading images for use on your site
- Parent Category: Solutions
- Category: Joomla! tips - and tricks
- Published on Saturday, 10 March 2012 07:58
This tutorial addresses uploading images that will be used somewhere on the site, typically within articles being posted on the site. Images for other locations, such as a background image for the template, should be discussed with your web manager/designer because they are handled in a different way.
Also, depending on which version of Joomla you are using, the instruction will be a little different. I have separated the details based on the two major versions of Joomla currently used. In either case, the difference is really only how to get to the "Media Manager", where all of the site's images are stored.
Further, many of the text editors used offer the option of uploading an image directly while editing/creating an article. This is not the path that I prefer. Instead, use the methods outlined below. The reason for this is that over time the number of images in a site can become overwhelming. Uploading them via the Media Manager will help "force" some sort of organization and creation of folders (directories) where similar images are stored.
This may not seem like a big deal starting out, but I have a client that has over 300 images in one folder in their Media Manager. When they want to use one of those images in another article, they must search through all of them to find the one they want.
- Mouse over the "Site" link in the upper left hand corner of the page. This opens a drop down menu.
- Click on "Media Manager". This will open it as a new window.
- Open the "Stories" folder.All article images are kept in the "Stories" folder.
- Navigate to the folder you want to store the photo in and click on it.If you need to create a new folder, use the "Create Folder" in the upper right corner of the folder window.
- Click on the "Browse" button in the "Upload File" control at the bottom of the page.
- Navigate to the image you wish to upload. Clicking on it will populate the input box.Make sure there are no spaces in the image name - before you upload it; use a hyphen or underscore to connect words. For example, a picture titled "trees in forest.jpg" should be retitled "trees_in_forest.jpg" or "trees-in-forest.jpg". Of course, it could be titled "treesinforest.jpg" but this is hard to read or just "trees.jpg" but this may be too general. The reason for this is that some browsers "see" a break in a title as the end of the command. This will result in a broken image on your site.
- Click "Start Upload". You should see the image show up in the file once it has finished uploading.Only .jpg, .jpeg, .png and .gif files are typically allowed. If prearranged, movies and PDF documents can be uploaded.
Joomla 2.5 (and Joomla 1.7)
To adding an image in Joomla 2.5 is essentially the same as Joomla 1.5. The difference is where the Media Manager link is located.
- Mouse over "Content" in the horizontal Joomla menu. A drop down menu will open or click the "Media Manager" icon on the Control Panel page.
- Click on "Media Manager". A new window will open displaying the all of the media folders in the left column and the images and folders in the "Media Manager".There are several changes in Joomla 2.5 that are important to note:
- Use of the "Stories" master folder has been eliminated. All images are keep in the "Media Manager" root folder or in sub folders within the "Media Manager".
- The "Create Folder" function has been moved to the bottom of the "Media Manager" window.
- The "Upload Files" is located below that.
- Follow steps 4 through 7 in the Joomla 1.5 instruction to upload an image.